Sunday 10 May 2009

Simple basics...

My approach to painting is 'simplicity' - the simpler the better. I use a very limited pallette of colours: red, yellow, blue, white and burnt umber and that's it! Note that I do not use black paint except sometimes as a base colour. In some paintings I apply the raw colours direct to the canvas and then mix as I'm working them. Sometimes I apply a background colour before beginning, normally from an acrylic aerosol and quite often whatever colour is available in my workshop! I have used red oxide, black and beige in the past.


Dales Landscape, acrylic on canvas, 12" x 16"
A very swift painting, done from mental images of a bright spring day with heavy showers of rain. Canvas was sprayed with black paint before starting and some colours were mixed on the canvas. Painted using a knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment